[tz] Ukraine 1990, PS

David Cochrane davidc at astrosoftware.com
Sun Mar 16 18:19:00 UTC 2014

The information that I received from a person who speaks Russian is that the
decree on 1 July 1990 does not specify clearly whether DST was in force so
his translation suggests that the decree on 1 July 1990 is ambiguous
regarding observance of DST, but the decree in September 1990 refers to
leaving in force summer time. Here is the information about this from this
person:

> http://search.ligazakon.ua/l_doc2.nsf/link1/T001500.html
> This page says only that Ukraine adopted 2he as standard time on 1 July
> 1990.
> It says nothing about DST being in force or not, at that date.

It was clarified in September 1990 by the next law:
* Ukrainian Government's Resolution of 21.09.1990, No. 272.
http://search.ligazakon.ua/l_doc2.nsf/link1/KP900272.html

(translation) "Leave in force "summer time" in the Ukrainian SSR
and not move the clock 1 hour back on 30 September 1990."

Before 1 July 1990: UTC+4 (Moscow Summer Decree time, i.e. Time zone 2 + 1h
Decree + 1h DST)
After 1 July 1990:    UTC+3 (no Decree hour + Summer time, i.e. Time zone 2
+ 1h DST)

Notes: UTC+4 started on 25 March 1990.

I do not speak Russian so I am just relaying this information. I hope it is
helpful.

David Cochrane