[tz] Crimea to switch to Moscow Time as of March 30, 2014

Mon Mar 17 16:50:35 UTC 2014

On Mar 17, 2014, at 12:16 PM, <lennox at cs.columbia.edu> <lennox at cs.columbia.edu> wrote:

> The other, politically fraught, issue for the tzdb is going to be how to
> mark Europe/Simferopol and any other new Crimean timezones in zone.tab,
> i.e. whether they should keep being categorized as UA or changed to RU.  My
> suggestion would be to leave them as UA until such time as Crimea's
> accession to Russia is internationally recognized, or the situation
> otherwise changes.

Though it pains me to say so, I don’t agree.  We’ve had a whole lot of debate on this list about whether TZ entries should have the blessing of some “authority”.  The current approach, I believe, is that it is intended to reflect the reality on the ground, and official blessing is not directly relevent.  That’s why there are (or were, or were planned to be) entries for places like Transnistria or Taiwan.

	paul