[tz] UNS: Re: Crimea to switch to Moscow Time as of March 30, 2014

Julian Cable julian.cable at bbc.co.uk
Tue Mar 18 09:39:16 UTC 2014

It would actually be better to have no geopolitical information in the database. Geonames.org and statoids.com do that. Geonames links geonameids directly to 'Olson' time zone names.

It would be great to have polygons as a normative part of the data but organising hierarchies are available elsewhere.

Julian

> On 17 Mar 2014, at 21:44, "Garrett Wollman" <wollman at csail.mit.edu> wrote:
>
> <<On Mon, 17 Mar 2014 14:37:00 -0700, Guy Harris <guy at alum.mit.edu> said:

>>> No, that just pushes the work onto the downstream distributors.
>
>> Which work?
>
> The work of figuring out which "country" uses the various timezones.
>
> -GAWollman

http://www.bbc.co.uk
If you have received it in
Do not use, copy or disclose the