[tz] Troll throws zic for a loop

Christos Zoulas christos at zoulas.com
Fri Mar 21 12:58:08 UTC 2014

On Mar 20,  8:12pm, eggert at cs.ucla.edu (Paul Eggert) wrote:
-- Subject: Re: [tz] Troll throws zic for a loop

| I'm reluctant to have localtime.c invoke malloc, since that'd be a new
| way for localtime to fail; it's purposely designed to not malloc unless
| the builder #defines ALL_STATE.  If mad scientists in Antarctica keep
| cooking up new ways to tell time we may have to do something more
| drastic, but for now bumping TZ_MAX_TIMES a bit should be a relatively
| painless way forward.

This ship has already sailed. It is not like the mad scientists in
Antarctica still run on 8 bit microprocessors any more. Let's move on.
Most of the world is running on multicore processors who want a tzlib
that is thread safe, and does not require mutexes to work. Can we move
in that direction please?

christos