[tz] thread-safe localtime

Christos Zoulas christos at zoulas.com
Fri Mar 21 19:25:55 UTC 2014

On Mar 21, 10:07am, guy at alum.mit.edu (Guy Harris) wrote:
-- Subject: Re: [tz] thread-safe localtime

| It's nicer, but is it as widely supported on the various UN*Xes that have a=
| dopted the tz code?  It's supported on *BSD and OS X, and might be supporte=
| d on at least some Linux distributions, but is it supported on, for example=
| , Solaris?  (Or are all the Solaris man pages in SGML these days, so Oracle=
|  would have to rewrite the man pages anyway?)

I don't know. I would guess that Oracle will prefer mdoc in that
case since it is a lot simpler to convert to SGML since it is a
semantic markup as opposed to a formatting one. Perhaps people on
this list who have OS's that have "man" only pages can chime in?
I don't think it is a big barrier though given that there are BSD
licensed "mdoc" macros and tzcode supplies pre-formatted pages
anyway...

christos