[tz] [Patch] Make it slightly easier to parse tzdata

Lester Caine lester at lsces.co.uk
Tue Nov 4 13:39:48 UTC 2014

On 04/11/14 13:10, Brian Inglis wrote:
> On 2014-11-04 02:51, Lester Caine wrote:
>> On 04/11/14 02:40, Brian Inglis wrote:
>
>> Two basic modes ...
>> One provides the rules for a zone ... currently only VTIMEZONE
>> documented. tz generic rules could be passed via this method, but no
>> means of combining rules to make a complete zone set.
>>
>> Second provides an 'extract' as a series of events in JSON format which
>> can be used for simple devices that just need the next couple of
>> transitions.
>>
>> What is currently missing is accessing a known state of data so one can
>> synchronise what is read from tzdist and what was used for the calendar
>> you want to use it with.
>
> Calendar and JSON data formats appear to be alternatives in the latest
> release.

There is no documented format for a JSON rule set just as there is no
matching mechanism in iCalendar to use the JSON expanded format packet.
It would be nice at least to outline a JSON format that can
transparently handle the tz format even if it is not included in the
standard on the first release.

>>> Requested via REST URI parameters and data returned in JSON or VCALENDAR
>>> format, with selectivity as optional server capabilities which may be
>>> queried.
>>
>> The URI based format has not yet been incorporated in the draft, just
>> waiting for the current lock down on IETF before that can be uploaded.
>
> I was looking at draft 2 from Oct 17 and there were a lot of URI examples.

Draft 3 will replace the ?action=xxx with a tidier RESTfull style URI
and will add publisher and version facilities ... but we have not yet
seen Cyrus's proposals other then some outlines on the tzdist list.

--
Lester Caine - G8HFL