[tz] Recent conversions of zones to aliases

Paul Eggert eggert at cs.ucla.edu
Fri Oct 3 00:27:53 UTC 2014

Thanks for the info, but I'm afraid there's not much new here.

Stephen Colebourne wrote:
> The recent change to map Harare to Maputo broke a test in Joda-Time

Did Joda-Time's regression tests also fail for 2014h's changes to Jamaica time
in early 1974?  Those changes are for more-recent time stamps, time stamps that
are in scope for the tz database.

> there should be at
> least one actual Zone entry for each ISO defined territory/country,

That has never been true of the tz database.  Adding such a requirement now
would result in more political churn and maintenance overhead, something we
already have too much of.  There is a real benefit to keeping our distance from
politics, even if this means some regression tests need to be updated.