[tz] Recent conversions of zones to aliases

Mark Davis ☕️ mark at macchiato.com
Fri Oct 3 12:43:23 UTC 2014

> That has never been true of the tz database.

While that has not been true of the tzdb, it has IMO always been a flaw.

Until recently, every normal* Unicode region code except the following have
had at least one unique TZID.

   - AC Ascension Island
   - BV Bouvet Island
   - CP Clipperton Island
   - DG Diego Garcia
   - EA Ceuta and Melilla
   - HM Heard & McDonald Islands
   - IC Canary Islands
   - TA Tristan da Cunha
   - XK Kosovo

It is extremely useful to be able to map all of them to at least one unique
TZID, if nothing else than for testing. It does not hurt to have extra
links in order to make that true.

But it is more than that. There are definitely people upset to see their
timezone reported as being that of a city in a different country, simply
because they happened to have the same rules. Most of the above have small
populations, where one could argue that it doesn't matter much (and Kosovo
is a special case).

* excluding: Unknown Region (ZZ), deprecated codes (like SU), macro regions
(like North America)

Mark <https://google.com/+MarkDavis>

*— Il meglio è l’inimico del bene —*