[tz] Timezone for Moscow is -10800 after installing tzdata-2014g

Alexander Koblov akoblov at gmail.com
Fri Oct 3 12:06:19 UTC 2014

Hi All!

My timezone is Europe/Moscow.

After installing tzdata-2014g, tzset sets value for timezone not -14400
as before, but -10800, although time shift will be only in October 26th.

Is this the expected behavior, or maybe I don't understand something?

Please see below program I use for the test and output from console.

Notice, how depends on what version of tzdata is installed value of
timezone is different, although current time is the same.

My question is: Why tzdata-2014g returns timezone for the Europe/Moscow
-10800 (3 hours)? As far as I understand timezone for Moscow should be
changed on the night of 25/26 October.

Thank you,
   Alexander.

==========
#include <iostream>
#include <ctime>
#include <cstdlib>
using namespace std;
int main()
{
     tzset(); //set all 4 DST globals using TZ
     cout<< "the difference between UTC and the local standard time is:
"<<timezone<<endl;
     cout<<boolalpha; //switch to verbal representation of bools
     cout<<"DST in effect: "<<(bool) daylight<<endl;
     cout<<"local standard time code: "<<tzname[0]<<endl;
     cout<<"local standard time code: "<<tzname[1]<<endl;

}
==========

==============
// With tzdata-2014g-installed
[root at Linux jgm]# ./jtz
the difference between UTC and the local standard time is: -10800
DST in effect: true
local standard time code: MSK
local standard time code: MSD
[root at Linux jgm]# date
Птн Окт  3 14:43:37 MSK 2014

//Let's downgrade to tzdata-2014b
[root at Linux jgm]# yum downgrade tzdata-2014b-1.el6.noarch
// skip lines
Removed:
   tzdata.noarch 0:2014g-1.el6

Installed:
   tzdata.noarch 0:2014b-1.el6

Complete!
[root at Linux jgm]# ./jtz
the difference between UTC and the local standard time is: -14400
DST in effect: false
local standard time code: MSK
local standard time code: MSD
[root at Linux jgm]# date
Птн Окт  3 14:44:05 MSK 2014

//Let's return back to tzdata-2014g
[root at Linux jgm]# yum update tzdata
//skip lines
Updated:
   tzdata.noarch 0:2014g-1.el6

Complete!
[root at Linux jgm]# ./jtz
the difference between UTC and the local standard time is: -10800
DST in effect: true
local standard time code: MSK
local standard time code: MSD
[root at Linux jgm]# date