[tz] Timezone for Moscow is -10800 after installing tzdata-2014g

Ian Abbott abbotti at mev.co.uk
Sat Oct 4 11:19:04 UTC 2014

On 04/10/14 10:58, Alan Barrett wrote:
> On Fri, 03 Oct 2014, Paul Eggert wrote:
>> When tzset is called, it does not know what time stamps you are
>> interested in. It guesses, and its guess is based on time stamps that
>> are farthest in the future.
>
> So, after calling tzset(), the global timezone variable will contain the
> UTC offset that would be in effect at some time in the very distant
> future.  Other global variables similarly refer to what would be in
> effect in the distant future.
>
> Perhaps it would be more useful for tzset() to set global variables
> based on what would be appropriate for the instant when tzset() is
> called.  This would not detract from tzset()'s other task of setting
> internal variables to refer to the rules for the local time zone, for
> use by localtime(), mktime(), and other time zone functions.

But then its behaviour would change depending when you called it, which
seems undesirable.  I guess what's really needed is a version of the
function that takes a universal timestamp parameter; then it could set
the variables according to the standard time in effect at the specified
time.

> Are these global variables documented as deprecated?

Are they deprecated? The replacements aren't part of the standard.

--
-=( Ian Abbott @ MEV Ltd.    E-mail: <abbotti at mev.co.uk>        )=-
-=( Tel: +44 (0)161 477 1898   FAX: +44 (0)161 718 3587         )=-