[tz] Carving shapes

Marvel, Jim (CPCOE) Jim.Marvel at honeywell.com
Thu Oct 16 17:33:00 UTC 2014

Tim,

                In the mean-time I found
http://www.gadm.org/country

which has stuff I am chewing on now.
Thanks
Jim

From: Tim Parenti [mailto:tim at timtimeonline.com]
Sent: Thursday, October 16, 2014 12:25 PM
To: Marvel, Jim (CPCOE)
Cc: tz at iana.org; Eric Muller
Subject: Re: [tz] Carving shapes

Jim,
The commentary in the relevant portions of the 'europe' file attempts to detail the scope of each zone, in terms of the political subdivisions of Russia.

Back in August, Blake Crosby and I had a brief discussion about how to find good geometries for these subdivisions, but we hadn't found much.
https://github.com/blakecrosby/tz-map/issues/1
Eric Muller has created shapefiles in the past for some versions of tz data.  On his http://efele.net/maps/tz/russia/ page, he shares an "ingredients" file at http://efele.net/maps/tz/russia/tz_russia_ingredients.zip which may be of some use.

--
Tim Parenti