[tz] Fiji DST Oct 26

Robert Elz kre at munnari.OZ.AU
Mon Oct 20 22:43:48 UTC 2014

    Date:        Mon, 20 Oct 2014 18:02:47 +0000
    From:        <Paul_Koning at dell.com>

  | But given the apparent policy statement that the default is “no DST”, ...

I agree with Tim - what's more, for the past few years, that policy (which
was always in place) would have required last minute releases to enter the
date for Fiji, which our guess (which happened to be correct) allowed to
be avoided.

This year (most likely because of the change of Govt, I guess) we weren't
that lucky, and now it is harder to form a reliable guess as to what the
likely (de facto) rule will be into the future - but it seems very very
likely, given that they did not decide to abandon summer time this year,
that some dates will be needed, so while it is entirely possible that next
year will need another last minute fix, if we pick a date now, we at least
have a chance of being right.  If we don't (if we assume no summer time)
then it seems much less likely that our guess will be correct.

kre

ps: also note; that because of the old guess (not having a release with no
summer time in Fiji), anyone who doesn't get the update in time this year
will have just a week of incorrect times - if we had guessed "no summer time"
then people would have continuously incorrect conversions, until they
updated.  Once again, having guessed a date is a clear win.  We only lose if
they eventually (without reasonable warning) cancel summer time completely.