[tz] Fiji DST Oct 26

Ken Rylander ken at lajbans.com.au
Tue Oct 21 01:03:28 UTC 2014

Hi,

Excellent point, Deborah and Andy. I hereby change my vote to
predictions for the future, and creating exceptions, whenever the
prediction is wrong. And maybe, as Tim said, a late date. At least until
we see a more stable pattern.

I see your email addresses, and understand where you're coming from. I
am working for a mobile operator, and completely forgot the big problems
we have with tz files in handset OS's (iOS, Android etc.). As you said,
the lead-time here is a lot longer. And not every user will update their
OS to the latest version, even if it's available. A qualified guess is
definitely better than no DST data at all.

For my UNIX servers and Java applications, I can control what timezone
files to use. But regarding handset OS's, there is currently no official
way of updating the tz data. Hopefully that will change in the future.
After all, they are called smartphones, so there should be a way to
"tell them" about late changes to timezone information.

Cheers,
/Ken