[tz] [tz-announce] 2014g release of tz code and data available

Paul Eggert eggert at cs.ucla.edu
Thu Sep 4 18:14:18 UTC 2014

kzimmermann at ups.com wrote:
> Does this mean that Turks and Caicos will NOT BE OBSERVING DayLight Savings time anymore?

Yes, starting in November according to 2014g.  See its 'northamerica'
file, which cites the following for why they won't change the clocks in
November:

http://tcweeklynews.com/daylight-savings-time-to-be-maintained-p5353-127.htm

2014g models this as a change from Eastern Daylight Time (EDT, UTC-4) to
Atlantic Standard Time (AST, UTC-4) on November 2.  That is, the clocks
won't change in November, but the alphabetic time zone abbreviation
will.  Admittedly this disagrees with the headline of that news article
(which implies they will use DST year-round), but the longstanding
convention of the tz database is to model "perpetual DST" as standard
time. and since the time stamps will be correct nobody will much care
about the distinction.

> What will the time zone name be for the Turks and Caicos....currently I have America/Grand Turk? Will this change?

No.  All you should need is an updated (2014g or later) database.