[tz] Kyiv time zone

Paul Eggert eggert at cs.ucla.edu
Wed Apr 1 05:49:34 UTC 2015

Tim Parenti wrote:
> I'd be interested in any
> insights he might have to share about the Kolkata change.

If memory serves that was Arthur David Olson's decision when he was maintainer,
but I can share my two cents.  In English, the name "Kolkata" is far more common
than "Calcutta" nowadays, so a name change was in order.  In contrast, "Kiev" is
far more common than "Kyiv", so a name change does not seem appropriate.  The tz
database prefers commonly-used English-language names to the correct or official
names.  For example, it uses America/Los_Angeles even though "Los Angeles" is
not my city's official name.

More generally, it's better to err on the side of conservatism about name
changes, partly because of the hassle for everybody when the names change, and
partly to avoid political discussions that distract from the project.