[tz] Belarus is listed in MSK timezone

Paul Eggert eggert at cs.ucla.edu
Wed Apr 1 06:19:37 UTC 2015

On 03/30/2015 08:46 AM, Dzmitry Kazimirchyk wrote:
> my local timezone is displayed as MSK (Moscow Time) instead of FET (Further
> Eastearn European Time).

The most common English-language name for UTC+3 in Belarus nowadays seems to be
"Minsk time", e.g.:

http://eng.belta.by/all_news/sport/Slovakia-flatten-Switzerland-at-Christmas-ice-hockey-tournament-in-Minsk_i_78546.html
http://eng.belta.by/all_news/sport/MAZ-SPORTavto-manages-12th-place-in-Dakar-Rally-Stage-9_i_78702.html
http://www.globalresearch.ca/ukraine-ceasefire-agreement-donbass-conflict-resolution-in-minsk/5431007
http://www.minskairport.com/minsk-airport-arrivals-online-timetable.html

 From 2011 to 2014 a time zone separated EET (UTC+2) from MSK (then UTC+4), and
I invented the abbreviation "FET" for this UTC+3 zone. But it's better if the tz
database reflects existing practice rather than inventing it, and since we no
longer have a strong need for an invented abbreviation I'd rather stop using
it.  Instead, we can document that "MSK" is now ambiguous, and stands for either
Minsk or Moscow time, as in the attached proposed patch.