[tz] Belarus is listed in MSK timezone

Garrett Wollman wollman at csail.mit.edu
Wed Apr 1 19:46:10 UTC 2015

<<On Wed, 01 Apr 2015 22:37:36 +0300, Dzmitry Kazimirchyk <dkazimirchyk at gmail.com> said:

> If it is an official IANA position on the matter, I am very
> disappointed. It is pretty much ignoring the fact of existence of
> sovereign time zone name of one country in favour of another countries'
> name. Having in mind the fact that it is "Moscow time" time which had
> its rules changed from UTC+4 to UTC+3 and not "Minsk time" which stayed
> the same, it makes this thing look even more biased.

The normal convention for zones that do not have a conventional
English-language initialism is to use either three letters of the city
plus "T", or the ISO 3166-2 alpha-2 code plus "T" -- so the
expectation would be that Minsk would get either "MINT" or "BYT".

I don't believe that IANA has an official position here; IANA hosts
the database but does not maintain it.

-GAWollman