[tz] Belarus is listed in MSK timezone

Paul Eggert eggert at cs.ucla.edu
Wed Apr 1 23:07:32 UTC 2015

On 04/01/2015 01:09 PM, Tim Parenti wrote:
> I cannot think of another case where we have applied the designation
> of a neighboring country to a region that has not itself changed its
> timekeeping rules.

The situation here is not unprecedented.  The tz database used MSK/MSD
for Europe/Minsk at UTC+3/4 even after Belarus's independence from the
Soviet Union in July 1990.  And this continued a longstanding practice
of using MSK/MSD to denote Minsk time at UTC+3/4, going all the way back
to 1930.  The conservative approach here is to continue to use the same
abbreviation.