[tz] Belarus is listed in MSK timezone

Lester Caine lester at lsces.co.uk
Thu Apr 2 09:13:01 UTC 2015

On 02/04/15 06:05, Dzmitry Kazimirchyk wrote:
> I see this approach as violently discriminatory. Although Belarus did
> formally declared independence in 1990 it took time to implement it and
> real independence was achieved only in December 1991 with disolvation of
> the Soviet Union. MSK used on the territory of current Belarus back then
> always meant "Moscow time" and there was no real concept or name such as
> "Minsk time" back then, so the "conservative" approach doesn't really
> apply here.

Dzmitry ... That is exactly the reason that the rules for the TZ
database deliberately try to avoid any political bias. I am often at
odds with Paul over maintaining historic material, but any pre-1990
standards are maintained. We can't re-write history. But similarly it is
not the job of the database to create it, so where there is no
consensus, the historic base simply roles forward. The TZ database does
not maintain a location mapping service, which is where the link between
any ground location and a set of rules in TZ should be established, and
it is that mapping service which would add any local descriptions and
details. The TZ database simply provides a reliable set of rules that
are accurate for the identifiers provided ... which are not locations.

--
Lester Caine - G8HFL