[tz] Belarus is listed in MSK timezone

Paul Eggert eggert at cs.ucla.edu
Sat Apr 4 00:28:47 UTC 2015

Tim Parenti wrote:
> why didn't we refer to Minsk Time as MSK instead
> of FET in 2011–2014?

Because we thought that there would be a new time zone between Eastern European
Time and Moscow time, one that could use a name.  If that had happened stably,
we could have extended the European naming tradition (WET, CET, MET, EET) one
time zone to the east.  It turns out that we were wrong; sorry.

> the large distance between the areas covered by Pacific
> Standard Time and Pitcairn Standard Time make this very different

They are not different if one excludes political considerations and focuses on
timekeeping considerations, which is what we ought to do here.  And there are
other examples involving nearby countries sharing abbreviations, e.g., Iraq
sharing "AST" with Saudi Arabia, even though Iraq is not in Arabia.