[tz] Belarus is listed in MSK timezone

Hank W. hankw1 at austin.rr.com
Thu Apr 9 12:03:33 UTC 2015

Dzmitry Kazimirchyk <dkazimirchyk <at> gmail.com> writes:

> I am in Belarus and I have recently noticed that my local timezone is
> displayed as MSK (Moscow Time) instead of FET (Further Eastearn European
> Time)....

The number of countries and territories whose current time zone
abbreviations are their ISO-3166 standard two-letter country/territory
abbreviation with a time suffix ("T", "T"/"ST", "ST", or "ST"/"DT") is 62
(AFT, AMT, ART, AZT/AZST, BDST, BNT, BOT, BRT/BRST, BTT, CCT, CKT, CLT, COT,
CVT, CXT, ECT, FJT/FJST, FKST, GET, GFT, GST, GYT, HKT, IOT, IRST/IRDT, KGT,
MHT, MMT, MUT, MVT, MYT, NCT, NFT, NPT, NRT, NUT, NZST/NZDT, PET, PGT, PHT,
PKT, PMST/PMDT, PWT, PYT/PYST, RET, SBT, SCT, SGT, SRT, TFT, TJT, TKT, TLT,
TMT, TOT, TVT, UYT/UYST, UZT, VET, VUT, WFT and WSST/WSDT).  With such a
well-established precedent, I cannot disagree that BYT is the most logical
choice for representing the time zone in Belarus.  Kudos to Garrett Wollman
for suggesting it first!  It is such a logical choice that at least one time
zone web site, Time Genie
(http://encyclopedia.timegenie.com/time_zones/time_zone_names_and_abbreviations/),
has been displaying BYT rather than FET as the time in Belarus for at least
several months.

Furthermore, I would like very, very much to see ISO-3166-based replacements
for at least some of the ambiguous abbreviations.  In my opinion, saying
that IST means UTC+1 AND UTC+2 AND UTC+5:30 is as ludicrous as if an inch
were equal to 2.54 cm AND 3 cm AND 4 cm.  For example,...
Change Irish Summer Time from IST to IEST.
Change Israel Standard/ Daylight Saving Time from IST/IDT to ILST/ILDT.
Change India Standard Time from IST to INST.
(Please DON'T change Iran Time from IRST/IRDT to IST/IDT.)  ;)
Change Cuba Standard/ Daylight Saving Time from CST/CDT to CUST/CUDT.
Change China Standard Time from CST to CNST.

For the rest of the currently-used abbreviation ambiguities I have the
following suggestions:
AAST for Arabia Standard Time
ANT/ANST for Amazon (Summer) Time
BOUST for Bougainville Standard Time