[tz] Belarus is listed in MSK timezone

Paul Eggert eggert at cs.ucla.edu
Thu Apr 23 19:23:07 UTC 2015

On 04/23/2015 11:34 AM, Dzmitry Kazimirchyk wrote:
> I can't see how it is TZ database's mission to confuse (or even
> offend) locals by telling them that they are using foreign "Moscow time"

It's not.  And this is why the current version of the tz database says
that MSK stands for either Minsk or Moscow time.  It's true that the
abbreviation is ambiguous and that this can cause confusion, but there
are lots of ambiguous abbreviations in the tz database (AST, BST, CST,
...) and the resulting confusion is a normal and expected aspect of
these abbreviations.  It's long been recommended to use numeric offsets
like "+0300" to avoid this confusion, and this recommendation applies
here as well.