[tz] Belarus is listed in MSK timezone

random832 at fastmail.us random832 at fastmail.us
Sun Apr 26 12:09:15 UTC 2015

On Sat, Apr 25, 2015, at 15:10, Guy Harris wrote:
> with the latter being an escape hatch put in for the benefit of the Olson
> database and code, as it was called back then, so one *could* try arguing
> that POSIX would not impose any constraints on what we do with tzname[]
> with a tzdb zone setting, but, in practice, that argument will probably
> fall on deaf ears).

The only argument I have seen for not using e.g. "GMT+03" is that people
might paste it into the TZ variable and end up with dates with an
abbreviation of "GMT" and an offset of -03:00. Note, though, that almost
no other abbreviation, except for a handful defined for North America
and Europe and not including MSK, can be used directly as the value of
TZ.