[tz] North Korea into +8:30 time zone

Paul Eggert eggert at cs.ucla.edu
Fri Aug 7 17:11:35 UTC 2015

Thanks for the heads-up.  Less than one weeks' notice, so we need a new tz
release very soon, which will update Uruguay too of course.

I wonder what cell phone users in North Korea are going to do.  The usual trick
is to substitute some foreign city that happens to have the correct UTC offset,
but that won't work here.

Steffen Thorsen wrote:

> This probably needs a new time zone abbreviation

As it happens, the new zone is what zic's new %z feature was designed for, and
if we use %z we won't need to invent a time zone abbreviation.  Unfortunately we
can't assume %z works everywhere, so the attached proposed patch does the
abbreviation by hand; we can convert it to %z later.  The patch also contains a
change to 'Theory' to document the motivation for the %z business.