[tz] The zoneinfo file system tree structure ?

J William Piggott elseifthen at gmx.com
Fri Feb 13 21:26:43 UTC 2015

[please cc me, I am not subscribed]

On 02/13/2015 02:40 PM, Paul Eggert wrote:
> E.g., Debian and Fedora both ship multiple copies of the 'posix'
> directory, which obviously takes far more disk space than the
> symbolic-link approach in the tz distribution.

As does Slackware; it also offers up every tzfile to its users during
installation: root, posix, and right. Most users have no idea what the
difference is. I believe that there is great deal of misunderstanding
with regard to the tz database. That is what prompted me to add some
information to the hwclock(8) man-page.

Thank you for taking time to reply Professor Eggert. It is very much
appreciated!

William