[tz] Time zones in the news

Paul Eggert eggert at cs.ucla.edu
Fri Jan 2 23:06:04 UTC 2015

On 01/02/2015 02:39 PM, Jonathan Leffler wrote:
> why is it possible to decide when the New Year starts at the South
> Pole but not at the North Pole?

Because the South Pole is inhabited, and has a local time (same as its
supply base McMurdo).  The North Pole is in international waters, where
the convention is to use meridians to delimit time zones, and that
convention breaks down at the pole.

You can see images of past New Year's Eve celebrations at Amundsen-Scott
here:

http://www2.lbl.gov/Science-Articles/Archive/pole-gear.html

I can sympathize with those photos, as right now I'm working in an
unheated office -- UCLA shuts off the heat during winter break to save
money.