[tz] Uruguay out of DST

Paul Eggert eggert at cs.ucla.edu
Fri Jul 10 17:24:49 UTC 2015

On 07/10/2015 09:15 AM, Deborah Goldsmith wrote:
> is there any reason to wait once the data is verified?

"Verified" is not Boolean.  Have we verified the upcoming Uruguay
change?  Not really, not nearly as much as (say) we verified the
most-recent US change -- and even if we had better confirmation, the
Uruguayan change is controversial and perhaps they'll change their
minds.  Have we verified the upcoming Moldova change?  More than
Uruguay, but even there the start date for that change is sheer
guesswork on my part.  So it's quite possible that the proposed Moldovan
and Uruguayan changes are wrong, at least in part.

Also, there's overhead to making a release.  Even when data can be
99.999% verified there is still benefit to having ten releases a year
instead of fifty, if ten will do.

Downstream users of the tz database need to be reasonably prompt in
applying new releases anyway.  Governments sometimes decide changes only
a few days before they take effect, so if users care about timestamps,
OS release schedules simply cannot require three-month delays.  This is
true regardless of whether we issue a new Uruguayan-related tz release
this week or next week.