[tz] Uruguay out of DST

Guy Harris guy at alum.mit.edu
Sat Jul 11 20:58:09 UTC 2015

On Jul 11, 2015, at 1:19 PM, Martin Burnicki <martin.burnicki at burnicki.net> wrote:

> I think the upcoming tzdist protocol is a good way to update local tzdbs
> automatically, without interaction of an OS vendor, and with out having
> to roll out "firmware" or "system" updates just to get an updated
> version of the tzdb.

What's the time frame for "upcoming" here?  (Then there might have to be additional time added to make servers and clients available for the protocol....)

> Of course there is a daemon required to check for new versions and
> download the data, and eventually the runtime libraries need to be
> modified to become aware of update TZ rules on the fly,

Unless your name is "Apple Inc.", in which case you did that a long time ago (I'm told by somebody in a position to know that the whole notify(3) mechanism was originally invented to support tzdb updates without having to restart processes).

> without
> reloading the libs or so. I'm not sure how the runtime libraries handle
> this right now, i.e. if tzdb updates are supplied as software updates.

Presumably meaning "how the software suppliers handle this right now".  Linux distributions don't seem to have "software updates" in the sense of "here's Fedora 24.1"; they seem to push individual components, so they can push tzdb updates separately from updates to anything else.  I don't know what other suppliers do, but at least one supplier has demonstrated their ability to update parts of an OS independently of a full-blown Software Update.