[tz] Uruguay out of DST

Deborah Goldsmith goldsmit at apple.com
Sun Jul 12 01:46:02 UTC 2015

> Presumably ICU can, at least, reload whatever form of tzdata it uses when the system time zone changes (I didn't have to reboot my Mac when I flew from California to Pennsylvania a few years ago, and a lot of the GUI-based software I was using was presumably using ICU), so there is - at least in OS X's and presumably iOS's version of ICU - presumably at least *some* of the mechanism in place to allow it to update the information for the current time zone without having to restart the process.
>
> So why would updating ICU’s time zone data not be doable with the same mechanism that could be used for UN*X's time zone data?

Because they’re not the same thing.

Capsule version: ICU has a data file. ICU is not currently architected to allow you to swap out the data file, or a portion of it, while a process using ICU is running.

Selecting a different time zone from the existing data file is an entirely different matter from replacing some or all of the data file itself.

Further information can be found at icu-project.org.

Deborah