[tz] Proposal: validation text file with releases

Jon Skeet skeet at pobox.com
Thu Jul 16 08:30:34 UTC 2015

On 16 July 2015 at 04:20, Paul Eggert <eggert at cs.ucla.edu> wrote:

> Is there any information missing on an individual transition basis, or is
>> it more global matters (links, start/end points, range of transitions)
>> that
>> is missing information?
>>

> I don't recall exactly the formats you're using, but the thing I most
> remember is not being able to handle all the data.  zdump should be able to
> dump everything, not just transitions for a limited number of years.

I'm fine with that. Given that zdump already has the ability to limit the
number of years reported, I'd expect the new option to respect the existing
one.

> At some point, perhaps far in the future, there should be a pattern and
> zdump should be able to deduce it and output it and stop.  zic already does
> this sort of thing.

Right - if that ever happens, I think we'd probably want to be able to be
able to disable that behaviour though... the dumber regression tests are,
the happier I am, if you see what I mean.

Jon