[tz] Proposal: validation text file with releases

Brian Inglis Brian.Inglis at systematicsw.ab.ca
Thu Jul 16 12:15:59 UTC 2015

On 2015-07-16 02:30, Jon Skeet wrote:
> On 16 July 2015 at 04:20, Paul Eggert <eggert at cs.ucla.edu <mailto:eggert at cs.ucla.edu>> wrote:
>         Is there any information missing on an individual transition basis, or is
>         it more global matters (links, start/end points, range of transitions) that
>         is missing information?
>     I don't recall exactly the formats you're using, but the thing I most remember is not being able to handle all the data.  zdump should be able to dump everything, not just transitions for a limited number of years.
> I'm fine with that. Given that zdump already has the ability to limit the number of years reported, I'd expect the new option to respect the existing one.
>     At some point, perhaps far in the future, there should be a pattern and zdump should be able to deduce it and output it and stop.  zic already does this sort of thing.
> Right - if that ever happens, I think we'd probably want to be able to be able to disable that behaviour though... the dumber regression tests are, the happier I am, if you see what I mean.

What about adding the date +FORMAT argument
or the GNU ls --time-style options to zdump?
--time-style=STYLE
     with -l, show times using style STYLE:
     full-iso, long-iso, iso, locale, +FORMAT.
     FORMAT is interpreted like 'date'
The former requires only a call to strftime(3),
while the latter requires some format selection.

--
Take care. Thanks, Brian Inglis