[tz] Type values in rules

Jon Skeet skeet at pobox.com
Sun Jul 19 07:12:15 UTC 2015

Hi folks,

It wasn't until last night that I first saw a non "-" entry for a type line
- Australia/Adelaide had rules of

Rule    AS      1990    1994    even    Mar     Sun>=18 2:00s   0       -
Rule    AS      1990    1994    odd     Mar     Sun>=1  2:00s   0       -

until release 2000f.

Now in Noda Time I could probably support non-infinite rules with a fixed
set of types (hopefully just odd and even), but it would be a bit of work.
If type values are effectively obsolete, I may not bother.

So, is it just coincidence that there have been no uses of the Type field
in the released data since 2000f, or is this effectively policy now? (I can
understand keeping the functionality for private usage, where others may
use zic with their own data sets, but for Noda Time I'm not worried about
that.

Jon