[tz] About the core city of a tz region

David Patte ₯ dpatte at relativedata.com
Mon Jul 20 17:27:22 UTC 2015

I'm thinking in particular of Montreal vs Toronto.

Montreal is 150 years older than Toronto, and was much larger than
Toronto in 1970 according to any census I have seen.

When Toronto overtook the population of Montreal is debatable, but one
might say it was after 2000 when an amalgamation of Toronto with
surrounding cities it grew into, caused its population to nearly double.
The original core city of Toronto is still likely smaller than Montreal.

But if you count the metro area and all suburbs than clearly Toronto is
now dramatically larger especially in the last 10 years. By the most
inclusive counting method I have seen (though not the most common
counting method), the area in and around Toronto is currently over 6
million (more than Chicago!), whereas the equivalent area in and around
Montreal is currently only about 4 million.

But the reason I mention historical data is that in 1970, and maybe much
more recently, Montreal was clearly the larger city by a factor of 1.5,
and this discrepancy increases backwards over time. Pre1970 timezones
rules affected more people living in Montreal at the time, than lived in
Toronto at the time.