[tz] Uruguay out of DST

Chris Rorvick chris at rorvick.com
Fri Jul 24 03:26:43 UTC 2015

On Sat, Jul 11, 2015 at 7:49 PM, Paul Eggert <eggert at cs.ucla.edu> wrote:
> On 07/11/2015 01:40 PM, John Hawkinson wrote:
>>  it would help if there was a monotonic identifier that increased for each
>> commit in-between releases (VERSION=2015e+20150701a perhaps, corresponding
>> to 9ebb8da281487886d4110388eb139578c72d1176, the first commit on July 1
>> (UTC)). I don't know if that is something reasonable to require of Paul.
>> (And, unfortunately, I don't think there's a good git mechanism for it.)
>

> In the current experimental repository a monotonic identifier is the commit
> timestamp in UTC.

Alternatively, there actually is a pretty good Git mechanism for this:
git-describe(1).  Given a commit, git-describe finds the most recent
previious tag and prints that tag, the number of commits since that
tag, and the prefix of the given commit.  For example, the current
head of tzdata has 17 commits since the last release:

  $ git describe origin/master
  2015e-17-ga86ca0f

If the provided commit is tagged itself, then only the tag is printed:

  $ git describe 503ee68
  2015e

Finally, the output of git-describe can be fed back into git commands
to refer to the original commit:

  $ git log -1 --oneline 2015e-17-ga86ca0f
  a86ca0f Improve comments for Halifax and Glace Bay

Thanks for all the good work Paul!

Regards,

Chris