[tz] Uruguay out of DST

Chris Rorvick chris at rorvick.com
Fri Jul 24 04:18:10 UTC 2015

On Thu, Jul 23, 2015 at 10:37 PM, Tim Parenti <tim at timtimeonline.com> wrote:

> On 23 July 2015 at 23:26, Chris Rorvick <chris at rorvick.com> wrote:
>>
>> Alternatively, there actually is a pretty good Git mechanism for this:
>> git-describe(1).  Given a commit, git-describe finds the most recent
>> previious tag and prints that tag, the number of commits since that
>> tag, and the prefix of the given commit.
>
> Interesting.  It would be nice if that could be incorporated in some way,
> but it relies on having the tags in your copy of the repository.

True, though the the default is to retrieve reachable tags on a fetch
so your scenario seems somewhat exceptional.  I assume you have
`remote.<alias>.tagopt' set to --no-tags?

Also, the prefix is actuallly not significant to Git:

  $ git log -1 --oneline one_plus_two_is-3-ge6a6d02
  e6a6d02 Support %z in Zone formats

So only the repo that generates the commit description needs to have
tags; anyone can understand it (assuming they know about the commit.)
If the use case is vendors publishing a version number to describe
inter-release commits, this might be an insignificant issue.

Regards,

Chris