[tz] CST timezone that does not account for DST

random832 at fastmail.us random832 at fastmail.us
Thu Jul 30 15:24:49 UTC 2015

On Wed, Jul 29, 2015, at 17:56, Nilesh Parmar wrote:

> Hello Team,
>
> How can we have CST timezone that does not account for DST ?
>
> Using the POSIX string, we can create a timezone called CST that is GMT+6
> as follows:

That's GMT-6. GMT+6 is the time in e.g. Kazakhstan, and is not AFAIK
called CST anywhere it is used.

> [root at hp-dl120gen9-01 ~]# TZ=:CST6 date
> Thu Jul  9 06:50:29 CST 2015

You shouldn't use the : if you are using a POSIX string. Just TZ=CST6
should work on any POSIX system.

> But this is not consitent if tzdata package is update.

Why not?

> Also this does take into account DST change?

It shouldn't.

Anyway, if this is for Saskatchewan what's wrong with America/Regina?
What do you need this for?