[tz] Hyder Alaska

Steve Jones stevejones at OnTimeZone.com
Mon Nov 9 18:59:23 UTC 2015

At 11:51 AM 11/9/2015, Matt Johnson wrote:
>Should there be an America/Hyder zone entry?

Hyder does observe Daylight Saving time.

http://ontimezone.com/exceptions.php
"AK: Hyder Alaska unofficially observes Pacific time, even though
they are officially in the Alaska time zone. But the post office,
being a federal facility, is on Alaska time."

But it is an unofficial exception, similar to all of these:

Guadapupe Mountains National Park, Texas
Winterhaven, CA
Earp, CA
Jackpot, NV
Jarbidge, NV
Owyhee, Mountain City, and the Duck Valley Indian Reservation, NV
Kenton Oklahoma
Nara Visa, New Mexico
Phenix City Alabama
Valley/Lanett Alabama
Fort Pierre South Dakota

All of which are documented at the OnTimeZone.com exceptions page,
which also contains this note:

>Near official time zone borders, there are sometimes unnoficial
>exceptions where locally observed time differs. The main borders in
>OnTimeZone.com normally follow the observed time - which is what a
>traveler is likely to actually encounter.
>
>Unofficial "observed" differences usually follow vague areas of
>economic or political influence which defy precise definition. But
>we had to draw them somewhere. Often these borders are in lightly
>settled areas. We took pains to draw them on the correct side of
>roads, businesses, services and populated settlements. That was our
>intent anyway - corrections appreciated!
>
>Wherever these areas are in the US, unofficial borders are drawn in
>lime green, with the official alternative drawn in dark green. No
>attempt was made to do this for other countries, because
>distinctions between official and unofficial blur a bit in the
>various political subdivisions. In the US all official time zone
>borders are well and clearly documented by a single source - the US
>Dept. of Transportation.
>
>Within an area where observed practice differs from official, there
>are often internal exceptions. Possible examples are polling places,
>post offices or other federal offices -- and sometimes law
>enforcement or various other governmental entities which may observe
>official time.
>
>Bars or liquor stores in these areas are often required by law to
>observe official time. This can provide quite an advantage for
>properly situated bars, when last-call sojourners migrate across an
>official time zone border to cadge one more hour of bliss.

I have no idea if there should be entries for such unofficial
exceptions, but I assume it should be all or none.

Regards,

Steve Jones
Emacs!