[tz] Coordinated Universal Time (UTC) to retain “leap second”

Steve Allen sla at ucolick.org
Fri Nov 20 17:35:40 UTC 2015

On Fri 2015-11-20T15:53:52 +0000, Paul_Koning at dell.com hath writ:
> I'm puzzled.  Are there still marine navigators who have a sextant
> at hand, never mind know how to use one, let alone active use it?  And
> celestial navigation in airplanes disappeared, what, 50 years ago?

The celestial navigation relies on an almanac.  If the almanacs were
changed to tabulate according to "cesium atomic days" of SI seconds
instead of "mean solar days" of earth rotation then everything would
work.  The tricky part is getting everyone to agree to that change.

--
Steve Allen                 <sla at ucolick.org>               WGS-84 (GPS)
UCO/Lick Observatory--ISB   Natural Sciences II, Room 165   Lat  +36.99855