[tz] Version in zoneinfo files?

Lester Caine lester at lsces.co.uk
Thu Oct 29 00:35:36 UTC 2015

On 28/10/15 23:51, Paul_Koning at Dell.com wrote:
> I suppose that's doable.  It would be possible, for every distinct zone in the tzdata repository, to maintain a sequence number that is incremented when (and only when) some rule for that particular zone changes.  For example, in tzdata2015g, the sequence number for Turkey would be incremented, but the one for New York would not be.

tzdist has all the right hooks to provide just what is needed, and a
'perfect' publisher would provide all of the historic data where
available, and empty responses where it is not. If you have a current
cached copy of the tz data and then see a calendar which uses an older
version you can enquire if any of the times you are looking at may have
changed, or if you reconnect after flight mode, you can see if there has
been a change to the data you are using whilst off line. All of this
needs management of the version of data and the current version number
system can handle it as long as hard coded copies can be mapped to the
later dynamic changes? If distributions are using binary zoneinfo files,
then matching that to live updates is important, but so is providing a
means of identifying which version was used to create the data being viewed?

--
Lester Caine - G8HFL