[tz] Version in zoneinfo files?

John Hawkinson jhawk at mit.edu
Thu Oct 29 00:40:03 UTC 2015

Lester Caine <lester at lsces.co.uk> wrote on Thu, 29 Oct 2015
at 00:17:50 +0000 in <563165AE.7000404 at lsces.co.uk>:

> SIMPLE things like that are not the problem. Where the problem arises is
> when the 9:00AM UTC Meeting in one location is advertised in several
> time zones and one of those time zones has a change of offset.

Again, this is a user interface problem.
A 0900 UTC meeting is advertised as 0900 UTC, period.
Clients convert to local time if appropriate.

What is the problem that the tzdb should be addressing here?
I do not see it.

> But my other problem is with the local tz identifiers which have
> different values in backzone pre-1970. In particular the UK zones which

Again, it is extremely difficult to parse your speech here, but
we do not really address pre-1970 issues. I think it is out of the tz
project's scope.

--jhawk at mit.edu
  John Hawkinson