[tz] timezone change for antarctica\casey [SEC=UNCLASSIFIED]

Robert Elz kre at munnari.OZ.AU
Fri Oct 30 05:31:43 UTC 2015

    Date:        Fri, 30 Oct 2015 05:01:39 +0000
    From:        Michael Chinn <Michael.Chinn at aad.gov.au>

  | The TZ changes, particularly at Casey, are highly variable,

Oh.

  | they are based around resupply and flights.

I assume in that case that someone plans them in advance ... given the
logistics, probably a fair time (months?) in advance ?

  | I will endeavour to go through the database and pull out the TZ changes,
  | should be able to get 3-4 years.

Ideally we're looking to go back to at least 1970 (or whenever it was
established, if more recent than that) - and even earlier if applicable
and possible.

But it does not have to be all at once.

  | Regarding predictions, sometimes there are only a couple of days
  | notice on changes much to the anguish of a few wintering expiditioners.

Oh.

  | All changes are visible live on the external site (it's the same database)

That just tells us the current time, and so, unless continually monitored
(which I doubt anyone here really has the resources to do) isn't suitable
for much more than verifying (or not) that the current data is correct, and
at best, would only ever tell us that we should have changed the zone already.

To be really useful, we need to know (however far in advance is possible)
when the next change is coming, before it occurs.   Ideally more than 2 days!

kre