[tz] timezone change for antarctica\casey [SEC=UNCLASSIFIED]

Paul_Koning at dell.com Paul_Koning at dell.com
Fri Oct 30 17:39:23 UTC 2015

> On Oct 30, 2015, at 1:13 PM, Matt Johnson <mj1856 at hotmail.com> wrote:
>
> If the zones are volatile, wouldn't it make more sense for someone in the Antarctic scientific community to maintain a private distribution for Antarctica?
>
> tzdb could pull from it periodically, such as before each otherwise-scheduled release.  But I'd be disappointed if a short-notice Antarctic zone change forced a new public tzdb version.  For example, it's not quite the same scenario as the recent Turkey update.

I very strongly disagree.

It would be a VERY bad precedent for the TZ project to decide that some changes are more equal than others.

There are some countries whose TZ information are not all that relevant to me.  But I expect them to relevant to others.  I track all TZ changes and import them when they appear.  Sometimes they are out of the way places, other times they are not, but the effort is small in each case.

If some organizations feel that importing each TZ change as it occurs is too much trouble, they are perfectly free to filter the changes before doing the import, and skipping the import if it isn't interesting enough by their standards.  But that MUST be a decision made at the receiving end; it cannot be made at the data source end.

	paul