[tz] timezone change for antarctica\casey [SEC=UNCLASSIFIED]

Andrew Paprocki andrew at ishiboo.com
Fri Oct 30 17:41:07 UTC 2015

On Fri, Oct 30, 2015 at 1:13 PM, Matt Johnson <mj1856 at hotmail.com> wrote:

> If the zones are volatile, wouldn't it make more sense for someone in the
> Antarctic scientific community to maintain a private distribution for
> Antarctica?
>
> tzdb could pull from it periodically, such as before each
> otherwise-scheduled release.  But I'd be disappointed if a short-notice
> Antarctic zone change forced a new public tzdb version.  For example, it's
> not quite the same scenario as the recent Turkey update.

I'm not sure that is desirable for a lot of people. The database shouldn't
get involved in the politics of the distribution. Downstream users of the
database can determine if a new version warrants faster/slower deployment
by looking at the changelog. e.g. North Korea's timezone decisions don't
really warrant any emergency action because they have no bearing on our
product, but Turkey's do. The only thing we ask is that updates be released
in a timely manner and it is up to Paul to decide when to cut the release
to balance # of releases vs time remaining until planned change(s).