[tz] tzdata isstd question

Random832 random832 at fastmail.com
Fri Oct 30 17:42:53 UTC 2015

My message disappeared. I've determined this was because I changed my
primary email address and wasn't recognized as subscribed to the list,
but it would have been nice to have received a notification of this as I
have for other lists.

On Thu, Oct 29, 2015, at 16:14, Paul Eggert wrote:
> Sorry, I must be missing something, but I am not following the question.
> For that absolute transition, there's no difference between 02:00
> standard time, 03:00 local time, and 08:00 UTC; they're all the same
> thing, and the "s" in "2:00s" is purely for convenience in the source
> data.

The binary data does include information about the difference for the
purpose of determining how the transition should be treated if the
timezone is transposed to a different offset due to being used as the
basis for interpreting POSIX rules.

This data is in the sections which tzh_ttisgmtcnt/tzh_ttisstdcnt
determines the size of.