[tz] Version in zoneinfo files?

Paul Ganssle pganssle at gmail.com
Thu Oct 29 01:02:22 UTC 2015

Is there anything in the proposed versioning schemes that is actually incompatible with your aims? If not, I'm not sure that scope has much to do with it anyway, since this is just an example of a use-case where people WILL want to know the tzdata version.

As much potential problem as there is with potentially misleading versioning in the zoneinfo data, I suspect there's an even higher possibility of confusion when there's NO standard way of getting version information, and every consumer of zic outputs is just rolling their own metadata storage on top of it.

Is the human-incremented nature of the versioning still the main stumbling block to the addition of versioning to the files?