[tz] Version in zoneinfo files?

Lester Caine lester at lsces.co.uk
Sat Oct 31 15:00:56 UTC 2015

On 29/10/15 01:02, Paul Ganssle wrote:
> Is there anything in the proposed versioning schemes that is actually incompatible with your aims? If not, I'm not sure that scope has much to do with it anyway, since this is just an example of a use-case where people WILL want to know the tzdata version.
>
> As much potential problem as there is with potentially misleading versioning in the zoneinfo data, I suspect there's an even higher possibility of confusion when there's NO standard way of getting version information, and every consumer of zic outputs is just rolling their own metadata storage on top of it.
>
> Is the human-incremented nature of the versioning still the main stumbling block to the addition of versioning to the files?

That about sums it up? Up until now one could not even guarantee that if
a distribution actually provided a version number that the content would
match the same data from another distribution. A lot of genealogical
data was ditched and re-built simply because there was no way of knowing
just what had been used to produce normalized data. The problem on
tzdist was getting an agreement that one NEEDS a reliable version number
in order to identify just what version of data has been used to create a
particular archive ... and this results in being able to update archives
reliably moving forwards.

--
Lester Caine - G8HFL