[tz] Turkey delays winter time

Deborah Goldsmith goldsmit at apple.com
Sun Sep 20 17:08:04 UTC 2015

The fact that notice is too short sometimes to respond doesn’t mean it’s desirable to follow a process that makes it less likely there will be time to respond. Large organizations like Google, Microsoft, and Apple that ship consumer products to largely nontechnical users have a different release process than Ubuntu or Red Hat. This release process can take weeks. Clients using ICU (Google and Apple at least) have to wait a few days just for the ICU team to release any corresponding changes that are needed in the ICU metazone data.

Having said that, I fully agree with the desire to hold off making a release until there is solid confirmation. But that’s different from waiting until shortly before a change takes effect in case there is an unforeseen change, or to collect multiple changes into one release. It seems reasonable to me to release a TZ update as soon as there’s confirmation that the change is correct, to give client organizations as much time as possible to package and release it. Yes, sometimes that won’t be soon enough. But we can try to make such times less frequent.

Deborah