[tz] Fwd: Mistake in Time Zone name!

Paul Eggert eggert at cs.ucla.edu
Fri Apr 1 08:59:35 UTC 2016

Bogdan Denkovych wrote:
> I see mistake in Time Zone name 'Europe/Kiev'.
> Must be 'Europe/Kyiv'

The tz names are in the English language, and the most common usage in English
for the city is "Kiev" even if this is not strictly correct locally. It is like
Europe/Rome, Europe/Athens, Europe/Warsaw, Europe/Moscow and
America/Mexico_City, which are all English-language tz names that do not match
local usage.

To have the name properly localized for use in Ukraine, I suggest using the CLDR
translation; see:

http://www.unicode.org/cldr/charts/latest/by_type/timezones.europe.html

It currently lists "Київ" for Ukrainian, "Kiev" for English, and lots of other
alternatives for other languages (e.g., "Kænugarður" for Icelandic -- a name
that assumes that Kievan Rus' was founded by Varangians, which is quite a
controversy in its own right!). Anyway, if these names are in error you might
try writing to the CLDR maintainers, as this stuff is out of scope for the tz
database proper.