[tz] Regarding new Time Zone and DST for Chile 2016 - Possible corrections on tzdata2016c.tar.gz

Carlos Huenchullan carlos.huenchullan at ericsson.com
Fri Apr 8 21:30:46 UTC 2016

Thanks for the clarification!

Regards

-----Original Message-----
From: Paul Eggert [mailto:eggert at cs.ucla.edu]
Sent: viernes, 08 de abril de 2016 16:13
To: Carlos Huenchullan; Time Zone Mailing List
Subject: Re: [tz] Regarding new Time Zone and DST for Chile 2016 - Possible corrections on tzdata2016c.tar.gz

On 04/08/2016 11:42 AM, Carlos Huenchullan wrote:

> Link America/Santiago   Chile/Continental
>
> Link Pacific/Easter     Chile/EasterIsland

These lines are in the 'backward' file, which I expect is what Solaris is using.

> Before May 15^th the Time Zone is CLT (UTC -3). If we applied the new
> rules now, the time zone will be CLST (UTC -3) until May 15^th . The
> time will be fine, but the timezone is not ok.

Although this issue is a close call, we took the approach noted in the NEWS file for the recent Chile change: "call the period from 2014-09-07 through 2016-05-14 daylight saving time instead of standard time, as that seems more appropriate now".

When countries go on daylight saving time indefinitely, we prefer to call it standard time (as that is what it is, in practice). That is what we thought Chile was doing, before 2016c. However, Chile went off DST after a year and a half, and when there are shorter periods like that we have tended to call it year-long DST.