[tz] Time zone selection

Random832 random832 at fastmail.com
Fri Apr 22 16:13:14 UTC 2016

On Fri, Apr 22, 2016, at 12:04, Matt Johnson wrote:
> I don't really like the zone-now.tab idea, because it would just reflect
> things as of the date of the tzdata release, which is somewhat arbitrary
> with respect to the scenario.

How is that different from the fact that literally everything else in
the release reflects things as of the date of the release?

The point is that the zones that are "merged" are _obsolete_, and
therefore no-one who newly selects their timezone after that date
"should" be using them anymore if they don't need historical timestamps.